Monday, March 31, 2014

Brass Lamp Makeover

Pin It
Can I make a confession?  I am obsessed with lamps!

I have been on the search for the perfect lamps for my bedroom after an unfortunate event.  During my move from Nashville to Atlanta, my favorite pair of mercury lamps broke.  Even now, almost two years later, it brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

They were my favorite!!

But I've finally found a replacement for them...old brass lamps my mother had in her donation pile. 

I know, I know - you're probably thinking I'm crazy but trust me on this one.  With a little bit of silver leafing paint I was able to transform these outdated lamps into some amazing.
 

Here are the brass lamps before.  I'm sure everyone owns an old brass lamp so I'm hoping this project will inspire you to pull your lamp out of the trash/donation pile and update it. 




If you don't already own a brass lamp I have a feeling you'll be able to find one at your local thrift store.
 


 
This project is super easy and only took me 5 minutes from start to finish for two lamps.  This is my kind of project - ain't nobody got time for projects that take hours or days...can I get an amen!



All you need for this project is a paint brush and silver leaf paint (I used Rub N' Buff).  Cover the brass lamp in the silver leaf paint - you only need to do a light coats.  I wanted the brass to show through so I did very light coats of the silver leaf.
 

Once you've achieved your desired look - you're done!  Can you believe it? Wasn't that the easiest project ever?!?! 
 

The best part about this project is that I barely used any of the silver leaf paint - I might have used 20% of it for two lamps. The silver leaf paint costs about $4 and with a 40% off coupon this might be the cheapest project ever. Plus, I was able to reuse the lamp shades from the mercury lamps that broke in my move. 
 
 
I hope this project has inspired you to dig your brass lamp out of the trash and update it into something you love!
 
 
 


1 comment:

John Hardy said...

Pretty good blog. This project is super easy and take your 5 minutes from start to finish for two lamps. Its really amazing and good. Now it's time to avail water bottle for more information.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...